How to Cope with Homework Overload in College: an Effective Guide
One thing I’ve always loved about the school is the limited responsibility that came along with the basic education. You’d get homework which you were supposed to do anyways because
- Your teachers would constantly supervise you and make sure you get your homework done. Partly because they felt it was responsibility to make sure you are “learning”.
- You “feared” your teachers and you knew not doing your homework in time only meant detention.
- Your parents were also actively in your early education because they wanted to make sure your basis were strong and to make sure you were fully prepared for college.
College however is like a 180 degrees turn in your life because here you’re responsible for getting things done on time. The teachers won’t write homework in your diary and they will not chase you around to make sure you submit assignments on time. You have to take full responsibility and with greater responsibility come pressure.
How to cope with this pressure?
Now most of you must be thinking “oh my, how will I handle this?” the key to deal with this pressure and responsibility is “to organize yourself”. Here are a few tips just to give you an idea how to deal with the change of roles:
- Make timelines! Yes, it’s about time you “time your work”. A little hard work at the start of the week might save you some free hours over the weekends.
- Always stay ahead of the deadlines. Last moment submissions won’t benefit you here. You need to finish your work beforehand if you want to avoid the pressure.
- You’ll have to chase your teachers for guidance. Don’t be ashamed to ask for help. They are only concerned with grading your assignments, everything else you need, and you’ll have to ask for it.
- Your parent’s are no longer liable to help you. You cannot pretend to be sick just to get out of doing your homework. Your life alone is at stake here.
- Organize yourself. Indulge in group studies and other such activities for assignments if you hate doing homework alone. College can be a fun experience even with all that responsibility.
- A little party never killed anybody. Nobody’s asking you to give up your fun life for all that homework. You just need to prioritize and set time for everything you do.